Posted on: Monday, May 2nd, 2016
Marriage really is the combining of two dreams and blending of two sets of ideas about life. It helps to have similar goals but this is not necessary for a beautiful shared life. The ability to talk and listen to each others hearts and work through planning to combine both heart desires is more critical.
Some Common Goals to set Together:
- Emergency fund – for emergencies ~ $1K e.g. smashed windshield
- Debt Reduction and Elimination – decide on the pace – how much and how fast
- Buffer/Cushion fund for sudden loss of work 3 – 6 months of expenses
- Savings, travel, houses, investments, big purchases, retirement
Discover what is deeply important to your partner and work out a framework that allows you to realize individual and joint goals and dreams
Discuss your financial future:
- Plans for children – dual income, single income household?
- Designer Jeans and College funds? costs about $300K on avg. to raise a child to 18
- Plans for career advancement, go back to school?
- Expect aging parent(s) to live with you, be dependent on you?
- Do you plan to start a business, relocate for work?
- These may change your financial goals or organizing systems, but you’ll have a better idea of where you’re headed—together
Money and marriage are a necessary mix. Educate yourselves through our marriage prep workshop, consultations with a financial adviser and/or with other successful couples. Build a power team – where both of you are knowledgeable.