Posted on: Friday, August 17th, 2012
We are happy to welcome to our team Brenda Kooyman!
Brenda Kooyman is a Calgary Registered Psychologist with a strong interest in children and learning. She graduated with a BA and B.Ed. and taught Elementary School for eight years. While raising her family, she taught a primary oral French program, ran a study program for GATE students, and ran Reading Rescue, an elementary school reading intervention program for At Risk children. Reading Rescue ran in the school using parent volunteers as tutors. She provided advanced reading/writing intervention and tutoring at both Calgary Academy and Foothills Academy. After earning her M.Ed. in Applied Psychology, she worked in assessment, programming, and intervention at both Third Academy and on the SikSika Treaty Lands.
Brenda specializes in helping children be the best they can be through an understanding of their strengths and areas of need, learning styles, and use of individualized programming and scaffolding. In the last three years, she has been taking additional therapy/counselling training using Play-Based Therapy and EMDR.
Contact us or book an appointment for a psycho-educational assessment for the gifted program in Calgary or for admission to Webber Academy, Rundle College & Academy, Westmount Charter School and many others or to obtain an assessment for ADD/ADHD and gain effective interventions and tools to help your child succeed in their learning.
We love kids and our psychologists create a warm and friendly environment that approaches every assessment by taking into consideration the child’s unique personality and needs. In order to provide the best environment for your child we can accommodate from many aspects ranging from timing, toys and princess personas 🙂 Please don’t hesitate to bring any suggestions or concerns to her attention.
- An initial consultation with the parents (1 hour)
- Review of academic reports (from school folder)
- Sending BASC questionnaires for the parents and a couple teachers to complete and return
- About 4-6 hours of psychological testing, broken up into two sessions (2-3 hours each), ideally on two different days (mornings preferred).
- Tests administered are the WISC IV and the WIAT III (grades 1 – 12) or WPSSI IV and the WIAT III (pre-school)
- Development of the psychological report (2-4 weeks)
- Review session with both parents
- Sometimes the psychologist deems it necessary to conduct a school visit to observe the student at work in her normal setting (additional cost).
The cost for these services is $1850 paid up front or in two instalments. (at initial consultation and at first testing).
Call now at 403-619-8558